It’s been a wild year for small businesses. We’ve had to deal with lock downs, cancellations, overhauls and so much uncertainty. Sometimes it feels like we are facing a new challenge every single day.
We’ve also received a huge amount of support from our networks and communities and found new ways of doing things that will have us ready to bounce back even better.
I want to say a personal THANK YOU to everyone who has helped out their local small business people this year – whether it be by making a purchase, recommending us, resharing us, sending us sweet thank you notes or just letting us vent – you kept us going through the most stressful year of our lives.
Please take a look at some of my favourite items from small businesses.
Bath & Body
Peppermint + Fir Needle Bar Soap
I Am My Sunshine – Solar Plexus Chakra Bath Salts
Mesh Laundry Bag & Facial Rounds Set
Fresh Christmas Tree Scented Wood Wick Soy Candle
Homestead Scented Soy Candle
Just a Little This That
Pretty in Pink Swarovski Crystal Stud Earrings Collection
Cozy Fox Necklace
Ear Loops Mask 6 Pack in 90’s Colours
Escaping the Ordinary
Daisies Roller Skate Accessory
No Thanks Tee
Beer Flower Sweatshirt
Garden City Essentials
Vintage Fruit Beeswax Wrap
Amber Glass Soap Dispenser
Marigold Woven Blanket
The Outcast Society
Cute Kitty Smash Fascism Pennant
M by M Knitwear
True North Toque Knitting Pattern
Salt + Mustard
Mustard Making Kit
Christmas & Holiday Cards
Brittany Lane Art & Illustration
Together in Spirit
Don’t forget about your local record shops, book stores and take out places!
All photos courtesy of retailers.
1. A retro rainbow planter + air plant magnet for the host with that kitchen the guests always gravitate towards.
2. An exfoliating hand soap for the host with the cute guest bathroom.
Nature’s Honey Craft Soaps
3. A tiny salt & pepper shaker set for the friend who loves to set the table.
For the Host
4. A Christmas tree scented candle with a crackling wood wick for that person who’s had the artificial tree up since November 1st.
5. A cotton canvas apron for the one whose desserts you never forget to save room for.
6. A linen cotton blend tea towel for the hero who always helps clean up.
7. A satin sleep mask for the hostess who always goes out of her way.
8. A hand painted mug for the wildcard in your life.
Kitties and Cabernet
All photos courtesy of makers.
I hope you like these products as much as I do! Just so you know, I may collect a commission or other compensation from the links provided on this page.
1. Unique holiday greeting cards everyone (especially mom) will love.
Get them from The Critter Co for $6 each.
2. A dreamy necklace for the girl with her head in the clouds.
Get it from Curious Oddities for $75.20.
3. A deceivingly warm corduroy jumper for the girl who’s always cold.
Get it from Mod Dolly for $92.92.
4. A cross stitch kit for your crafty friend with bare walls.
Get it from Diana Watters Handmade for $35.
5. The cutest little polar bear necklace for the animal lover in your life.
Get it from Swimming Fox Studio for $23.
6. An effortlessly cool shelf for the new homeowner.
Get it from Stained Lace for $36.
7. A checklist map of Canada’s National Parks for your most adventurous friend.
Get it from Ello There for $45.50+, with lots of add-on options.
8. A subtly festive pinecone necklace for the friend who never wants Christmas to end.
Get it from Emery & Opal for $27.34.
9. A fuzzy friend for your littlest friend.
Get it from Miso Handmade for $20.51.
All photos courtesy of product makers.
The May flowers came a little late this year but the weather is finally warming up. Windows are starting to open in the afternoon, fresh spring produce is popping up at the local farmers’ market, and the outdoor artisan market season is in full bloom. Here are my favourite things for the month of May – all inspired by local artists and makers.
1. Travel and Wanderlust Inspired Accessories
Dawning Collective’s Spyglass Necklace
2. 1920’s & Flapper Style
BOKO’s Beaded Bag in Teal Green
3. Geometric Birdfeeders
Moore Design Birdfeeders’ Oriole Feeder
4. Everything Strawberry
Leikey’s Strawberry Brooch
5. Reminders to Stay Positive
Merchant Handcraft’s In Hoop Everything Will Probably Be Okay Cross Stitch