This week, I’ll be putting the finishing touches on the shop’s holiday theme in preparation for switching over for the Black Friday sale and the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. I always look forward to changing the shop’s seasonal colour scheme because it means I get to pick new items to pull up and feature at the top of the shop!
When I first thought up The Bacon Dress last September, I set a goal of having a sample made, shot and listed by Black Friday, knowing there was no way I could miss such a far off deadline with so much time to prepare. Boy, was I wrong. First, Canada Post lost my swatch (presumably on the floor of my local post office, according to the tracking information) so I had to spend a few days corresponding with the company I ordered it from to have a new one sent. Then I had to wait for them to conform that it was indeed lost, with not hope of resurfacing. Then I had to wait for the new swatch to arrive. Then, they were out of the higher-quality, eco-friendly cotton I wanted, so I had to wait for it to come back in stock. Now, because it’s the busy Christmas season, I had to wait several business days for my order to be processed. So, I’m still waiting for my bacon fabric to arrive….
While I continue to wait this week, I’ll be looking for the perfect fabric for my next project, The Aurora Dress. The Aurora Dress will be the first in a collection of Disney princess inspired, casual day dresses for adults. The dresses will be made with high-quality 100% cotton fabrics and will blend modern trends with the 1950s/1960s charm of Disney’s heyday. For The Aurora Dress, I’m playing around with the idea of colour block elements on a classic 1959 silhouette. The dress will be tea length, have pleats at the front and back of the skirt and feature the iconic Sleeping Beauty collar and cuffs on a ¾ length sleeve. I hope to have a sample prepared in the next month or two.
As a next step for my shop, my brand and my dresses, I’ve set a goal to do at least one market per season next year, so I’ve been trying to come up with clever ways to set my booth apart from the others. I recently thought of fixing up an old card stock and rivet style dress form I have kicking around and paint it with chalkboard paint to make a unique and endlessly customizable sign for my booth. Ideally, I could also use the chalkboard dress form to teach shoppers how to take their measurements and make my booth more interactive. Perhaps I can even use it in a photoshoot every now and then. I’m very excited about the idea and I hope to begin working on my dress form sign this week. Follow me on Instagram for shots of my inspirationally successful and/or hilariously failed project.