Colourful, chewy brown butter and vanilla bean paste brownies with a crunchy cookie top.
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan and line it with a parchment paper sling.
3. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. While stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or heat proof spatula, boil the butter until it turns clear and golden brown. It should look like beer and smell like butterscotch. You’ve just made brown butter, set it aside to cool.
4. Beat eggs in a large bowl with salt until light and foamy.
5. Add sugar and vanilla bean paste. Beat until the mixture becomes thick.
6. With a few, swift strokes with a wooden spoon, stir the brown butter into the mixture until just combined.
7. Stir in flour, baking powder and baking soda until nearly combined.
8. Add sprinkles and stir until just combined.
9. Scrape batter into pan and bake for around 35 minutes.
10. Remove from pan while still hot using the parchment paper sling. Cut immediately and transfer to a cooling rack.
Serve just as they are or with whipped cream and sprinkles.