As the cold weather slowly encroaches upon us, we desire hot tasty beverages more and more. When November arrives in Canada, everyday without the first snowfall is a bonus that makes us feel like we are living on borrowed time before the cold winter weather arrives. It is at this time of year that we can really appreciate the romance of cuddling under a soft blanket with our husband or boyfriend while sipping some lovely hot chocolate together. Why go out in the cold to purchase that hot chocolate when you can make a more delicious hot chocolate at home?
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 – 3 tsp icing (powdered) sugar
A pinch cayenne pepper
1 ½ cups milk
¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Mix cocoa powder, sugar and cayenne pepper together in a medium saucepan.
- Slowly add milk and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Stir constantly over medium heat, scraping the bottom regularly, until bubbles form around the sides of the saucepan.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Top with whipped cream or marshmallows and ground cinnamon or nutmeg.
Makes 2 servings.